Search Accommodation
Compare prices to get the best rates

Avoca Museum and Information Centre

On Australia Day 2012 the Avoca Museum and Information Centre will officially open in Boucher Park.
The 103 year old heritage listed building has been restored by Greater Esk Tourism to promote the beautiful Fingal Valley region as the "Valleys of Adventure" offering mountain climbs, bush walks, waterfalls and the world's tallest white gums.
The old State School opened in 1908 at a cost of 348 pounds, and in 1929 there were 73 pupils enrolled. Prime Minister Joe Lyons visited the school in 1936, the year the wireless set and electric power were installed.
A new school was built in 1951 and the Country Women's Association used the old building for many years but it fell into disrepair and suffered years of neglect until Greater Esk Tourism set about seeking restoration funding. After many unsuccessful attempts the volunteer group obtained $193,000 from the Urban Renewal and Heritage Fund, Tasmanian Community Fund, the Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal, Arts Tasmania and other bodies to fund the work, with volunteers completing the restoration.
The Avoca Museum and Information Centre will be opened by Mayor Kim Polley OAM at the Northern Midlands Council Australia Day celebrations commencing with a BBQ at 12:30pm.



16 Blenheim Street, Avoca, TAS, AU





Sign up for special offers

* indicates required
Special
Offers